The Lower House is the name given to the former Richmond Asylum which opened to patients in 1814 and served over 2,000 patients at its peak. It is one of the 11 protected structures on the Grangegorman site. This old building will be refurbished to be available for a variety of student uses for TU Dublin. This ambitious recovery project aims to be completed for September 2020.
The building’s new uses will include music practice rooms, students’ union workspace, a food hall, sports rooms, a dance studio and general student support services. FKP Architects are leading the multi-disciplinary design team on the project.
Final Masterplan Use
Description of New Facilities
Design Team and Contractor/s involved
Stabilisation Works 2015
Construction Refurbishment to be completed for September 2020
2 Stage Restricted
FKP Architects (construction refurbishment)
Coady Partnership Architects (stabilisation)
Purcell Construction (construction refurbishment)
Bourke Builders Ballina Limited (stabilisation works)